Saturday, July 6, 2013

Biking to work, Day 2

Friday morning I took another stab at commuting by bike and train, with the advantage that I was able to leave earlier than I will most days (~5:45a.m.).  As much as it feels it should be shorter, it seems to be about 10 minutes between leaving my house and sitting down on the train, which is only about a mile from my house.  The train ride is then about 20 minutes, like clockwork, and my 5.5 mile bike ride takes a little less than 30 minutes, leaving my total commute at just under an hour.

This morning I got to try out a few weight lifting exercises at the gym, and use the showers, which was a welcome change to trying to make do with paper towels and a regular restroom.  I'm thinking I may try to switch to using just a hand towel to dry off, to keep the bulk in my back-pack down, as a full bath towel really isn't necessary.  The lockers appear to be the best place to hang up my biking clothes and towel for airing out/drying during the day, again, a big improvement from hanging them under my desk.

Some of my biggest concerns are traffic on the portions of my route that are off the bike trail.  They are hilly, two lane roads in poor repair, in an area of town known for heavy traffic during rush hour(s).  This being the week of July 4th means exceptionally light traffic for now, but we'll see how that works out in the long run.  It's also a much different proposition to get Brooke to come get me when I'm 15 miles away, through heavy traffic, than 2.5 miles on a usually not too busy road, so if something happens to my bike, or the weather gets bad, I haven't figured out exactly what the plan is.  From what I hear, there is a bus I can get on right next to the office that will lead to the train, so that may be my backup.



No comments:

Post a Comment